POSTED: April 26 2017 22:50:38. By Keith Long - Another High Scoring Win For First Team

After the disappointment of suffering their first defeat in ten games Beechfield United First Team bounced back with a stylish display against Pennington FC and returned to winning ways with a 5-1 victory. Making one team change Beechy kicked-off the match with Louis Duff replacing the absent Rob Lockley. Presented with United's first scoring opportunity in the second minute Jamie Sinnott fired the ball just over the crossbar. The Pennington keeper was soon involved in the action and was lucky to see a thunderous drive by Mike Phythian flash inches past the post. When the visitors found their attacking rhythm United were forced into a defensive mode and twice Gary Wallis made a couple of well timed ball winning tackles. Both teams operated a risky offside tactic and Beechy's overall display in the opening quarter-hour was slightly jaded.

Numerous stoppages ruined the flow of the game and on his return to the team keeper Rob Harrison had a fairly quiet start to the contest. On twenty eight minutes Beechy took the lead via a swift counter-attack and it was Louis Duff who supplied a pinpoint cross for Mike Phythian who easily went past a Pennington defender and slammed the ball low into the corner of the net. Beechy quickly made it 2-0 and again Louis Duff was involved in the move winning the ball with a strong tackle and unselfishly set-up Kurtis Lee for a clinical finish from eighteen yards. Pennington continued to look dangerous going forward but despite lacking the firepower around the penalty area the visitors reduced the arrears on thirty five minutes. It was a slightly lucky goal because when Gary Wallis headed the ball back to Robert Harrison the United keeper appeared to be wrong footed and the ball rolled into the net.

Beechy quickly recovered from the setback and were soon on the attack and creating chances. A superb long range effort from Mike Phythian swerved in mid-air and rattled the crossbar. When the ball bounced back into play United won a direct free kick and Jamie Sinnott brilliantly curled the ball into the corner of the net for 3-1 after 42 minutes. Straight from the restart Pennington put some pressure on United's back four and Andrzej Browne, Gary Wallis, Luke Johnston and Carl Ravenscroft produced some resolute defending. A superb move involving Craig Massey, Chris Ferris and Kurtis Lee forced a fine save from the overworked Pennington keeper. A couple of minutes later it was the turn of Robert Harrison to show his goalkeeping qualities when he made two fine saves in quick succession.

Due to an injury Luke Johnston was forced to retire and he was replaced by Alfie Belcher who took up an attacking role. Needing to be more aggressive Beechy always had the ability to step up a gear and somehow the Pennington keeper managed to deflect the ball onto the post following a powerful strike by Alfie Belcher. Then Jamie Sinnott raced clear of the last defender but as the keeper advanced towards the edge of the area Beechy's number nine hammered the ball over the crossbar. Man of the Match Louis Duff who was constantly involved in the action fully deserved a goal to put the seal on a terrific performance.

Beechy went 4-1 up on eighty four minutes when a quickly taken throw-in by Andrzej Browne led to some clever footwork from Jamie Sinnott and he moved the ball onto Alfie Belcher who blasted it past the keeper. Displaying a high level of fitness throughout the game United scored five goals for the second successive Saturday. Winning possession close to the halfway line left back Carl Ravenscroft delivered a superb long pass off his left foot and beating the offside trap was Jamie Sinnott who lobbed the ball over the keeper to complete the scoring with his twenty ninth goal of the season. (Match Played 15th April 2017)

home | about | contact |

Copyright (c) 2019 The official website for Beechfield United | All Rights Reserved | web design by w miller