POSTED: August 24 2017 22:58:48. By Keith Long - 1st Team Make It Two Successive 2-0 Victories

Following their first Division 1 home game of the new season Beechfield United's 1st Team secured a second successive 2-0 victory. At Salford Sports Village Beechy were in action against Manchester Central and United were made to work hard before they could celebrate the win. Straight from the kick-off the visitors relied on the long ball option as they tested United's defensive strengths and twice Luke Johnston showed good awareness with decisive interceptions. Beechy keeper Robert Harrison was tested in the opening minutes and on one occasion made a smart save following a curling effort by the Manchester Central No7. Decent scoring opportunities for United in the first ten minutes were few and far between while Central kept creating chances and Robert Harrison produced another fine save to deny the visitors No11.

Against the run of play Beechy took the lead in the 16th minute when a slick move developed between Jamie Sinnott and Craig Massey and a cross by the latter was met by Jordan Jones-Waite who despite a brave challenge from the keeper skillfully headed the ball into the net. Looking for an instant equaliser Manchester Central enjoyed a good bulk of possession with their midfield trio constantly involved. On twenty minutes United almost increased their lead via a swerving effort from player-manager Steven Erskine after great play involving Tim Taylor and Jamie Sinnott. But the visitors maintained a hard working approach and attacking down both flanks kept the pressure on United and some great defending by Rob Lockley and Tim Taylor guaranteed United held their one goal advantage at the break.

Facing a gusty wind in the second half Beechy had to deal with more pressure from the visitors and Manchester Central always threatened to score following several well delivered free kicks. Man of the Match Tim Taylor rescued United three times in quick succession when inside the area he blocked attempts to force the ball into the net by various Central players. United made a couple of changes in the 56th minute when Mike Phythian and Gareth Mooney replaced Craig Massey and Chris Ferris. The visitors also introduced two substitutes and they were soon involved in the fast action as the visitors forced more heroic defending from a well organised United defence. A superb one-handed save by Robert Harrison denied Manchester Central an equaliser following a free kick.

Minutes later he got his fingertips to the ball after the visitors No11 attempted to score from a ridiculous angle and when the ball rebounded back into play off the post an excellent piece of defending from Luke Johnston denied Central what probably would have been a deserved equaliser. Robert Harrison produced another great save just before Beechy added their second goal after eighty minutes courtesy of Carl Ravenscroft. At the end of a quick counter-attack United won a corner and Jamie Sinnott took the flag kick that was headed clear by a Manchester Central defender but the ball was controlled just outside the area by Carl who then hammered it off his left foot low into the corner of the net. More solid defending by United in the last ten minutes continued to frustrate their opponents who belived they didn't deserve to lose this match.

home | about | contact |

Copyright (c) 2019 The official website for Beechfield United | All Rights Reserved | web design by w miller