POSTED: December 07 2017 15:07:40. By Keith Long - Sensational 2nd Half Display Earns Trophy Win

Knowing they needed a win to boost their chances of qualifying for the knock-out stages of the Murray Trophy Beechfield United's First Team were in a confident mood ahead of their Group C away game with Chadderton Reserves. The match was fiercely contested throughout and Beechy found themselves 1-0 down at half time but their second half display was nothing short of sensational and United were rewarded with a 4-1 victory. During a lively start to the contest Beechy keeper Robert Harrison was soon involved and central defender Tim Taylor dealt with a couple of promising attacks by the hosts with two solid headed clearances. Chadderton's big pitch suited the long ball tactic and one quality move by United ended with Jamie Sinnott sending a header over the crossbar following a pinpoint cross from Carl Ravenscroft. Two minutes later right wing-back Andrzej Browne linked-up superbly with Jordan Jones-Waite but after outpacing a Chadderton defender United's striker overran the ball.

A well operated offside tactic by United's disciplined defence ruined several powerful attacks by Chadderton who's No9 had a decent chance from close range but he fired the ball over the crossbar. Mike Rogerson produced a superb piece of defending when Chadderton's No10 looked certain to score following a fine pass from the home sides No11. Both teams were well matched in the first half as they displayed intelligent movement off the ball and via some swift counter-attacks Beechy nearly got the opening goal. Jordan Jones-Waite worked hard to win possession and angled the ball onto Jamie Sinnott who hammered it straight at the keeper. Then after twenty minutes a move down the left flank ended with an effort by Craig Massey forcing a Chadderton defender to concede a corner. The referee was kept busy dealing with a few flash points in the game as both teams continued to play at a terrific pace.

Chadderton Reserves took the lead in the 25th minute when a move by United through the midfield broke down and following a slick three man move Chadderton's No11 supplied a clinical finish. Beechy thought they had equalised a few minutes later but the referee blew for offside before Craig Massey put the ball in the net. Facing constant pressure as Chadderton briefly dictated the match United were forced to produce some world-class defending. Both Luke Johnston and Andrzej Browne denied Chadderton a second goal via a vital last ditch tackle and a superbly timed headed clearance. Despite looking a threat going forward Beechy didn't created enough clear-cut chances though Jordan Jones-Waite did put the ball in the net but he was judged have strayed into an offside position. But five minutes into the second half United were back level when following a free kick taken by Luke Johnston the ball eventually fell perfectly for Rob Lockley who volleyed it home from the edge of the area.

Quickly back on the attack Chadderton produced a move down the left wing and the hosts forced a fine save from Robert Harrison. But United slowly started to dictate the game and superb link-up play between Craig Massey and Carl Ravenscroft carved out a shooting opportunity for Chris Ferris who's effort flew just wide of the target. On the hour mark United made their first substitution that saw Louis Duff replace Craig Massey and three minutes later Beechy led 2-1 after Jordan Jones-Waite finished off another great move when he rounded the keeper and tapped the ball into the empty net. Beechy soon added goal number three on sixty seven minutes when a great tackle by Carl Ravenscroft regained possession and he hit a long pass onto Jamie Sinnott and United's leading goalscorer displayed brilliant footwork before he hammered the ball past a stranded keeper and into the roof of the net. Beechy's remarkable turnaround continued via their fourth goal courtesy of a carbon copy finish from Jordan Jones-Waite following a great piece of individual play by Jamie Sinnott.

Chadderton Reserves were totally shell-shocked but they were now playing for lost pride and winning three successive corners forced some vital defending from Mike Rogerson, Tim Taylor and Andrzej Browne who was then replaced by Tom Allcock. Displaying great character and a high fitness level throughout the team United's work rate had been outstanding. Beechy made their third substitution when Kurtis Lee took over from Jordan Jones-Waite and as darkness crept in Chadderton created another strong attacking surge but United were able to soak up the pressure. Near to the final whistle Beechy came close to a fifth goal after Chris Ferris and Carl Ravenscroft combined to set-up Jamie Sinnott who's shot was on target but the Chadderton keeper made a comfortable save.

home | about | contact |

Copyright (c) 2019 The official website for Beechfield United | All Rights Reserved | web design by w miller