POSTED: December 14 2020 21:48:44. By Keith Long - Steeles Shield Win For Sat Morn Team

In the Manchester Saturday Morning Football League Beechfield United Senior Team's first game following the lockdown was a Steeles Shield 1st Round tie against Manchester Celtic and United won an entertaining encounter 7-4.

With home advantage Beechy were favourites to win the match and Manager Kyle Wray fielded a strong line up. United kicked off the game but it was the visitors who created the first positive attack and Tom Scott was soon in action when he produced a piece of excellent defending. Beechy opened the scoring in the 3rd minute when Max Leonard went on a surging run down the left flank before delivering a pinpoint cross into the area and Scott Foulds finished the move from close range. Following more powerful attacking play United went close to increasing their lead prior to Manchester Celtic equalising after seven minutes via their talented No11. After beating the offside trap the visitors centre forward in a one on one situation with Chris Pollock fired the ball straight at Beechy's keeper.

Almost immediately United were back in front courtesy of a brilliant bit of skill by Danny Adler and a clinical strikers finish from goal machine Max Leonard. Celtic's fast runners up front especially the visitors No11 caused Beechy's back four of Anhmy Le, Anthony Wallis, Tom Scott and Adam Boakes problems galore. In the midfield area Wes Pierce, Gary Wallis and Danny Alder worked hard to retain possession and keep United ticking over in the engine room. The fast flowing action switched dramatically from end to end and after producing another cleverly timed run off the ball in the 23rd minute Celtic's No11 confidently added a superb finish for 2-2. Beechy made a couple of tactical changes when Damon Whitbread and Kyle Mears replaced Adam Boakes and Gary Wallis and a few minutes later the visitors were awarded a penalty but Beechy's players breathed a sigh of relief when the Celtic No9 missed with the resulting spot-kick.

Due to an injury Kyle Mears was only briefly involved in the match and he made way for Issiaka Saba who himself had to retire later in the contest. Celtic's continuous counter-attacking kept Beechy's defence on major alert and both Anthony Wallis and Tom Scott made numerous ball winning tackles. But United always had the ability to turn defence into attack with Damon Whitbread, Matty McCusker, Scott Foulds and Max Leonard linking-up superbly in some great moves and the latter was on target again when he put Beechy 3-2 up. Then Max completed yet another hat-trick with the fourth goal from the penalty spot following a late and rash challenge on Issiaka Saba who needed hospital treatment due to a shoulder injury. Bako Aziz replaced Issiaka and was instantly involved in the rapid action but Beechy were caught napping gifting Celtic their third goal via a sublime finish by their No10.

But United responded in the best possible way by taking a 5-3 lead when Scott Foulds flew down the right wing and his crossfield pass found Bako Aziz who neatly set-up Matty McCusker and he produced a world class finish. Celtic's No10 had an effort bounce back into play off the post and United keeper Chris Pollock made some vital saves during another counter-attacking surge from the visitors. United used the roll-o0-roll-off league substitution rule again when Wes Pierce was replaced by Gary Wallis and the latter combined with Scott Foulds to create the chance for Matty McCusker who fired Beechy into a 6-3 lead. Manchester Celtic forced a corner in the 70th minute that led to a goalmouth scramble and somehow a visitors player forced the ball into the net. This game was a great advertisement for Grassroots Football and Man of the Match Danny Alder supplied a quality finish to complete the scoring with United's seventh goal.

home | about | contact |

Copyright (c) 2019 The official website for Beechfield United | All Rights Reserved | web design by w miller