POSTED: December 19 2016 22:39:00. By Keith Long - Looking Back Through The Beechy Archives

With no Senior Games on Saturday 17th December 2016 it gives us a chance to see what happened on the corresponding weekend in December 2008.

There was a rare defeat for Beechfield United's First Team who despite producing a top-class display suffered a 3-2 defeat at home to Wythenshawe Town. The last time United lost a Division 1 match in the Manchester Football League was almost four months earlier. Manager Richard Jackson was forced to make team changes due to various reasons and straight from the kick-off United's back four that included Man of the Match Stuart Wharton faced an attacking onslaught from the visitors. Slowly Beechy grew in confidence with the midfield trio of Dave Walker, Danny Rowcroft and Eddie Carroll involved in some great moves but United lacked the finish to numerous clear cut chances

Town who were denied what appeared to be a clear-cut penalty were also producing some superb attacking football but far too many stoppages threatened to ruin an absorbing contest. The visitors keeper was enjoying a fairly easy game as Beechy continued to see lots of the ball but still lacking the end product to some excellent soccer. A 0-0 score line at half time was a true reflection on the balance of play so far. Town took the lead in the 48th minute when United fell asleep following a throw-in and during a goalmouth scramble the ball was forced into the net from close range.

United responded in a positive manner and equalised three minutes later when Trevor Walsh set-up Mike Gould who hammered a 25yard right foot drive beyond the keeper and into the roof of the net. Beechy increased their work rate and commitment but Town regained the lead after a breakaway move on sixty three minutes. The match continued to be played at a terrific pace and in the 78th minute United deservedly drew level again. Following a great piece of skill Eddie Carroll carved out the opening for Danny Rowcroft who superbly curled the ball into the net from the corner of the area.

Fitness was a key issue during the last quarter hour and though United had enough chances to secure victory it was Town who hit a somewhat lucky winning goal three minutes before the referee ended the match.

Thanks to a hard working performance United's Reserve Team were rewarded with a 2-0 away win over Breightmet United. On a heavy pitch the home side had the better of the early exchanges but once Beechy got into their stride they stepped up a gear and went in front courtesy of a stunning goal by substitute Jamie Sinnott.

In the second half Breightmet forced some fine saves from Beechy keeper and Man of the Match Martin Fisher. Beechy continued to display a great team spirit and made sure they remained as Division 3 leaders when Andy Traverse netted the second goal in the 85th minute.

United's Saturday Morning Senior Team played their final game of 2008 and earned themselves a pre-Christmas bonus via a 4-1 home victory against Manton Wanderers. When the teams met earlier in the season Beechy suffered a 5-1 defeat therefore on this occasion they were determined to get revenge. United opened the scoring after ten minutes courtesy of Wes Pierce then Man of the Match Tim McQueeney put Beechy 2-0 up but Manton Wanderers reduced the arrears just before half time.

In the second half United soon regained control and Tim McQueeney was on target again with the third goal and dominating possession Beechy's front men gave the visitors back four a torrid time. Kyle Wray sealed a fine all-round team performance when he completed the scoring late in the game.

home | about | contact |

Copyright (c) 2019 The official website for Beechfield United | All Rights Reserved | web design by w miller