POSTED: December 22 2018 20:50:36. By Keith Long - Decent Display But Utd Lose Penultimate Match

For their penultimate Manchester Football League Premier Division game of 2018 Beechfield United's 1st Team were at home to Heyside FC and despite a decent overall display Beechy lost the match 3-1. Heavy rain greeted the players prior to kick off at Salford Sports Village and during a fast start by both teams United forced four successive throw-ins. Beechy keeper Rob Harrison easily dealt with the visitors first effort on target then following Heyside's next attack their No10 strayed into an offside position. A chance for United to take an early lead arrived when Jamie Sinnott delivered an accurate cross but the unmarked Louis Duff sent his header just over the crossbar. Allowing the visitors far too much time on the ball Beechy found themselves having to do some crucial defending and Mike Rogerson, Marcus Belcher, Luke Johnston and Carl Ravenscroft were at times tested to the limit. The battle for midfield supremacy proved a tough one for Ethan Birds, Chris Ferris and Mike Phythian who were up against a well organised Heyside trio.

Two chances for Heyside were wasted firstly by their No9 who overran the ball and the No11 who's side footed a first time effort wide from twelve yards. The visitors continued to keep the ball much better than United and Rob Harrison made a smart reflex save to keep out a low drive from the Heyside No 10. At the end of another Beechy counter-attack Mike Phythian's effort missed the target following a neat move between Jamie Sinnott and Jordan Jones-Waite. Heyside's No2 nearly scored a spectacular own goal but luckily he conceded a corner and from the flag kick the ball was booted downfield and suddenly United were having to defend and Mike Rogerson rescued Beechy with a brilliant tackle just outside the area. Jordan Jones-Waite produced a blistering solo run from the halfway line but after going past three opponents he couldn't add the required finish. On forty one minutes Heyside took the lead though there was a suspicion of offside against the visitors No7 before he fired the ball into the net. Three minutes later United were back level following a move down the right flank involving Mike Phythian and Louis Duff and a cross from the latter was met at the back post by Jordan Jones-Waite who scored from close range.

Gareth Mooney replaced Mike Phythian for the start at the second half and within ninety seconds of the restart Beechy were 2-1 down after the Heyside No11 added the finish to a great four man move through midfield. The visitors created numerous chances and once again United relied heavily on their hard working back four and keeper Rob Harrison and as the match constantly switched from end to end Beechy lacked the cutting edge to several hard earned chances. Following a free kick the Heyside No9 who was probably their best player went close to forcing the ball past Rob Harrison who was voted United's Man of the Match. Chris Ferris, Gareth Mooney and Jamie Sinnott were involved in a slick quick passing move and the latter was inches away from levelling the score. Heyside's third goal via their No9 ended Beechy's hopes of a possible late comeback and the result kept United in the lower region of the league table.

home | about | contact |

Copyright (c) 2019 The official website for Beechfield United | All Rights Reserved | web design by w miller