POSTED: February 24 2023 11:54:22. By Keith Long - Junior Section Match Details 18th/19th Feb 2023

Beechfield United's Junior Teams registered with the Salford and Districts League were all involved in Supplementary Cup games which produced mixed results.

*In the Under 13's Supplementary Cup Beechy TORNADOES were away at Stretford Victoria Athletic and shared a 1-1 scoreline at the end of seventy minutes. The players were sudddenly faced with taking penalties to decide the winner and it was the Tornadoes who came out on top winning the shoot-out 4-3. Stretford Victoria missed their final spot kick while on target for Beechy were Oscar Mather, Joshua Beddows, Jayden Hoye and Enzo Da Silva. Making the crucial save was stand-in keeper Joshua Beddows and in normal time the Tornadoes goal came via Feranmi Folorunsho who celebrated after scoring his first ever goal for the club.

*In their away game at Winton Wanderers Hawks the Under 7's THUNDER got off to a poor start when they found themselves two goals down. But Beechy quickly got their act together and playing some good football began to create chances and George Kelly almost reduced the arrears following a free kick. But George eventually hit the target when he fired home the rebound after the Hawks keeper had saved a shot by Harrison Spencer. Winton grabbed another goal before half time then Thunder were faced with a tough task after conceding four quick goals. Towards the end of the game Beechy rallied and Harrison Spencer scored Thunder's second goal from a free kick and Beechy nearly added a third goal when a effort hit the crossbar. Man of the Match was Oscar Spencer for a great cameo role at the end following his earlier spell as goalkeeper.

*The Under 8's Beechy STORM versus AFC Urmston Meadowside Supplementary Cup tie was a game that had everything. Against one of the other top sides in the league Beechy knew they faced a difficult task after being on the wrong side of the reult following previous close games between the teams but if Storm could beat this Urmston team they would be in with a great chance of reaching the final again. After making a confident start in the tie Beechy who dominated most of the early play limited Urmston Meadowside to just a few chances.

Seth Barber gave Storm the lead midway through the first half reward for the boys who had worked tirelessly to put on this fine team performance. Attributed to the high quality passing and fast attacking the spectators enjoyed some first-rate football. An effort by Alfie Heighway hit the post then Seth Barber had a penalty saved in the second half by a very good Urmston goalkeeper. Bobby Lowe caused havoc throughout the game with his direct runs which gave real problems for the Urmston defenders. It was Bobby who scored Storm's second goal and guarantee Beechy their brilliant victory.

*Beechy Under 8's THUNDER got off to a winning start in the Supplementary Cup following their home game with Salford Storm. The game was hard fought with lots of good tackles from both teams and making a bright start Beechy created numerous clear cut chances but the forwards couldn't add the required finish. Thunder took the lead when Noah Aspen stepped up from the back and from a corner struck a great finish from the edge of the area. Despite their early dominance it looked like being a frustrating day after Beechy wasted more chances until Brayden Taylor slotted the ball home to give Thunder a two goal advantage at half time. That's as good as it got for Beechy because during a poor second half Salford Storm got a goal back and had it not been for some last ditch tackles from Noah Aspen and several fine saves by Hugo Balogun Thunder would have lost the game. Noah and Hugo shared the Man of the Match award but there's a special mention for Lyle Glass on the wings who was a constant threat going forward.

*Away to Salford Storm Tornadoes the Under 9's STORM were confident of winning their Supplementary Cup tie after previously securing victory over their opponents in a league game. Despite an awful pitch, a strong gusty wind plus the referee who forgot his whistle the Beechy Boys produced a real team performance. Straight from kick-off Storm dominated the game and but for some inspired goalkeeping Beechy would have been at least three goals up in the opening five minutes. Storm maintained a constant flow of attacks and made the breakthrough when Max Schofield easily went past a hosts defender and drilled the ball into the bottom corner of the net. Beechy kept their opponents pinned in their own half but they had to settle for their one goal lead at half time.

A similar pattern developed in the second half and Storm increased their lead when the ball broke to Jack Sinclair who fired it low into the net. An own goal put Beechy further ahead then a close range finish by Kobe Glass added the fourth goal before Scott Ellis-Smith completed the scoring after some real determination and great finish. Man of the Match was Barkley Pope for his top-class performance that was full of skill, effort and quality.

*The Under 9's TORNADOES were in action at Beech Farm when they met Winton Silverbacks. At the end of normal time the teams were level after sharing two goals but it was the Tornadoes who secured a place in the next round of the competition following a penalty shoot-out. Alex McGory scored Beechy's goal in the first fifty minutes and earning herself Player of the Match was Freya Quinn.

*For their Supplementary Cup game the Under 10's HURRICANES welcomed Manchester Bees to Beech Farm for the third game between the teams this season. The Hurricanes kicked-off the tie and play was evenly balanced with both teams strong in midfield while both goalkeepers made some fine saves. Unable to find the first goal Beechy made four sustitutions midway through the first half and gradually got a tighter grip on the game. Chances were created and Ellis Jorgensen opened the scoring after a good through ball from Mason McHugh-Davies and in search of more goals the Hurricanes increased their lead through Myles Harris who fired the ball home from twenty yards.

Beechy were on the attack when the second half began but Manchester Bees quickly reduced the arrears when the ball was hit from the wing and bobbled past the Hurricanes keeper into the net. The visitors got back level thanks to a wind assisted goal but the Beechy Boys responded and Evan Sheldon went on a run down the right wing before delivering a lovely cross for Mason McHugh-Davies to add the finish and put the Hurricanes back into the lead. Both teams continued to battle hard for possession and it was Manchester Bees who got the next goal when they equalised then somehow the visitors managed to find a match winning goal.

*Beech Farm Playing Fields was the venue for the Supplementary Cup Group B game between Beechy Under 10s TORNADOES and Moorside Yellows. Another competitive fixture was expected and it was Beechy who dominated the early stages but didn't convert any chances created. Recent new signing Jacob Rowland started well in defence playing the ball out from the back with ease and confidence. The Tornadoes made the breakthrough when Archie Charles added the finish from a cross to give Beechy a one goal lead at half time.

Stepping up a couple of gears in the second half The Tornadoes created some brilliant football. Playing some nice 1-2's down the left wing Beechy scored two similar goals one a back heel on the edge of the area neatly dispatched by River Langford. The Tornadoes scored again before Moorside Yellows reduced the arrears with what proved to be their consolation goal. Goals from Archie Charles, River Langford, Kai Barker and Luke Bennett capped off a very good team performance. Tornadoes Man of the Match was Jacob Rowland who had an outstanding debut.

*In action on Sunday against Manchester Maccabi Broughton were the Under 11's THUNDER (9v9) and from the first whistle Beechy were the better team as they played with confidence and desire. In this Supplementary Cup game Beechy could have found themselves trailing by a few goals but they were rescued by some outstanding goalkeeping from Joshua Kellett. Maccabi took the lead with a well deserved goal before Thunder rallied and equalised before half time through Samuel Sulmataj who scored via a stunning volley from outside the area.

There was a similar pattern of play in the second half and Maccabi went 2-1 up and when Beechy pushed hard to get back level they missed several chances. The equaliser eventually arrived with virtually the last kick of the game when a shot by Ajab Fakeeh was saved by the hosts keeper but Maddow Taylor was in the right place to score from the rebound and force a penalty kick decider which Maccabi won 5-4. There was an outstanding display from stand-in keeper Josha Kellett and Jermaine Rose in defence had another excellent game.

*At home for the fourth successive Saturday the Under 14's HURRICANES were involved in a pulsating Supplementary Cup tie with Salford Storm Tornadoes and Beechy's match winning goal came in the dying seconds of the game. After forcing an early corner Salford Storm took the lead thanks to a goal from their big midfield player. The Hurricanes equalised when Sophiyulah Bakare sent a great pass onto Henry Errington who's solo run took him past three opponents and after some superb footwork Henry rolled the ball into the net. Salford Storm regained the lead after slack defending allowed a visitors midfielder enough time and space to find the top corner of the net via a brilliant finish. Following a free kick from the halfway line the Salford Storm defence struggled to clear the ball and after winning possession substitute Oliver Nangle set-up Joshua Whitehead who made it 2-2 when he hammered the ball beyond the keeper.

When play resumed after the break the visitors built an attack on the left wing and Beechy goalkeeper Oliver Dalton-Bunker was in action when he made a well judged diving save. Once again the Hurricanes defence was caught napping when they failed to get the ball out of the danger zone after after another good finish Salford Storm led 3-2. Beechy equalised again from a free kick when Joshua Whitehead who was outside the area curled the ball into the roof of the net. Salford Storm had a goal disallowed then another great free kick taken by Man of the Match Joshua Whitehead flew just over the crossbar. Beechy's dramatic match winner was scored by Sophiyulah Bakare who met a corner taken by Alfie Rostron and headed the ball home to earn the Hurricanes victory in injury time.

*In the Bolton Bury and District League the Under 16's TYPHOON were hoping to build on their previous great result in Section D when they travelled to play Oxford Grove Hurricanes. On a pitch resembling a quagmire which was a real leveller the Beechy Boys who struggled to adapt to the conditions conceded the opening goal. Typhoon created three excellent chances when they produced a positive response but the finishing touch was missing. Playing much better in the second half Beechy were rewarded with an equalising goal from Will Bentham who punished a defensive error by the hosts. However moments later Typhoon went 2-1 down after they failed to defend against a corner but Beechy kept themselvs in the game when Jamie Withington scored from the penalty spot following a foul on Reece James. Would Typhoon settle for a draw or look for a win but unfortunately Beechy conceded again and suffered a disappointing 3-2 defeat. Luke O'Sullivan who was big and strong in the mud and almost helped himself to a goal was voted Man of the Match.

home | about | contact |

Copyright (c) 2019 The official website for Beechfield United | All Rights Reserved | web design by w miller