POSTED: March 01 2022 19:14:09. By Keith Long - Junior Section Match Details 26/02/2022

Once again the wet weather forced another raft of postponements within Beechfield United's Junior Section and this weekend only five games survived.

*The three games in the Salford and Districts League involving Beechy teams took place in the Supplementary Tournament. The Under 8's Storm who were away to Longford Park Blues made a strong start in the tie and took the lead then missed a few more good chances. Longford Park slowly got a tighter grip on the game and scored a few quick which eventually guaranteed the hosts the victory. On target with goals for Storm were Kobe Glass, Barkley Pope and Team Captain Scott Ellis-Smith who was named Man of the Match.

*There was a long awaited and deserved victory for Beechy Under 10's Storm following their away game with Old Trafford Juniors. In their very first attack the hosts opened the scoring when an Old Trafford player was allowed to run through unapposed to score from close range. The setback sparked Beechy into life and Storm began to play their normal passing football with Daniel Wharton and Aiden Gradwell dominating the midfield. Upfront Oliver Cooper and Robert Wagner who caused problems for the hosts defenders came close to scoring on a few occasions but found the Old Trafford keeper in great form. A solid defensive trio of Jacob Wood, Brody Burns and Patrik Doherty limited Old Trafford to just a few chances and this enabled Beechy to equalise following persistent pressure. Oliver Cooper latched onto a perfectly weighted through ball then rounded the keeper before adding an easy finish.

Storm dominated the second half and though Old Trafford produced the odd counter-attack Beechy keeper Sophia Price who was in top form denied the opposition. The introduction of the energetic Thomas Brady and Kristian Georgiev eventually wore down the resilient Old Trafford defence. Following great wing play Oliver Cooper set-up Robert Wagner to score the decisive goal when he tapped the ball into an empty net. A few minutes later Robert Wagner returned the compliment and Oliver Cooper finished in style to secure Storm the win.

*The Under 13's Hurricanes met Juno United Pumas for the second time in three weeks and on this occasion the teams were in action in the Supplementary Tournament. After making a bright start the Hurricanes went a goal down but definately against the run of play when a long through ball found a Pumas striker scored with his very first touch. The Hurricanes quickly bounced back and equalised after Owen Hogben sent a great ball out of defence and Jamie Maher won possession but was hacked down just outside the area. Jamie executed a brilliant free kick which the visitors keeper tipped the ball onto the crossbar but Henry Errington was well positioned and slotted home the rebound for 1-1. The goal injected new life into the Hurricanes who took the lead after Taylor Hales-Cummins delivered a superb cross from the right wing and waiting at the back post was Thomas Robinson and he blasted the ball into the bottom corner of the net.

Beechy were still leading at the break following a good first half which had produced some great football from both sides. In a tight and slightly bad-tempered second half Juno United equalised when the Hurricanes defence were caught flat footed and with no further goals the teams were faced with taking penalties to decide the winner. Beechy who were the better team throughout lost the spot-kick decider 4-3.

*Back in action for the first time in four weeks in the Bolton Bury and District League were Beechy Under 15's Typhoon who produced a magnificent "Backs to the Wall" performance to earn a point from a 4-4 thriller at home to Ladybridge Eagles. Due to holidays Typhoon had only eleven players available and they lost Freddie Latham after five minutes due to an ankle injury. Ladybridge soon dominated possession and took the lead via a brilliant goal and after Will Bentham had nearly equalised the visitors went 2-0 up despite a suspicion of offside. Beechy heads didn't go down and on the stroke of half time on this occasion Will Bentham was on target when he reduced the arrears. Typhoon had played pretty well with both Reece James and Jamie Withington supplying some great diagonal passes which continually created numerous chances.

Beechy conceded a third goal at the start of the second half and the Typhoon players knew they faced another tough forty minutes. But Typhoon were back in the game when following good play down the left wing full back Joseph Bothamley hammered the ball past the keeper from the edge of the area. Depite having a better foothold in the match tiredness and a lack of games started to show within the Beechy ranks and Ladybridge Eagles took a 4-2 lead. Typhoon were glad to have Freddie Latham back on the pitch for the last ten minutes and playing more good football Beechy started to dominate this Section D contest and were rewarded when Ronan Mullen netted Typhoon's third goal. The visitors had to deal with constant Beechy pressure and there were wild celebrations after Sonny O'Brien calmy stroked the ball into the net for Typhoon's fully deserved equaliser then Beechy had one more chance to win the game but Daniel Hesketh sent a header just over the crossbar. The entire eleven players shared the Man of the Match award.

*Despite a good all-round display especially in the second half the Under 11's Storm (9v9) lost their Friendly Match with Burnden Park. Man of the Match went to Connor O'Sullivan and on target with Beechy's consolation goal was Mikeal Omatayo.

home | about | contact |

Copyright (c) 2019 The official website for Beechfield United | All Rights Reserved | web design by w miller