POSTED: January 30 2020 22:01:05. By Keith Long - January Match Reports For Sat Morn Seniors

Beechfield United Saturday Morning Senior team began 2020 with a home game against Brownley Albion and were looking to secure a winning double after a 6-1 victory in the previous Division 1 fixture between the teams.

Due to bad weather and the seasonal holiday break this was United's first game in four weeks and with minimal training over the festive period the players looked slightly jaded on the pitch. Beechy made a poor start and were sloppy in possession, however against the run of play they took the lead with a goal from Max Leonard after a fantastic through ball by Wes Pierce. Despite a second-rate first half performance United managed to retain their one goal advantage when the referee ended the first forty five minutes. A similar pattern developed after the restart with Brownley Albion adopting a direct approach to the game, but it was the pitch conditions that caused Beechy the most problems. Midway in the second half Brownley grabbed an equaliser after a misplaced back pass put a visitors forward clear in a one on one with the keeper and he added an accomplished finish. The equaliser seemed to wake up Beechy from their slumbers though they couldn't take advantage of several decent chances and had to settle for a disappointing 1-1 draw. (4/1/2020)

After the poor result seven days earlier Beechy knew they had point to prove when they prepared for a tough away game against Manchester North End who had picked up some good results so far this season. From the start of the match United put pressure on their opponents forcing numerous errors from the North End defence and Beechy grabbed the lead after Issiaka Saba forced a mistake from a home teams player and slotted the ball home. Beechy were dominant throughout the first half however North End equalised against the run of play and the teams shared a 1-1 score line at the break. The second half continued in the same manner with United continuing to press hard as they looked to regain the lead and Beechy were eventually rewarded. Centre half Anthony Wallis who was inside the area brought the ball under control before turning and striking it into the roof of the net for a fine individual goal. Beechy then added a third goal when striker Max Leonard received the ball around the halfway line and his dazzling run and finish put United 3-1 up. There was a nervy end to the game for Beechy after North End were awarded a penalty which was converted but United remained in control and gained an important 3-2 victory. (11/1/2020)

In the 1st Round of the Manchester Evening News Cup United faced a tough away game against Medlock Rangers who were feeling confident after their recent win over the Division 1 leaders. Knowing the chance of league honours was virtually out of reach Beechy focused their hopes of success on the cup and hopefully pick up some silverware at the end of the season. United started the tie much the better team and main striker Max Leonard caused real problems for Medlock's defenders with some great runs on the left flank and Max carved out the chance for Issiaka Saba who opened the scoring via a simple tap-in. Medlock caught Beechy when they counter-attacked and scored a surprise equaliser but this didn't unsettle United who hit back immediately and regained the lead with a wonderful solo goal from Max Leonard who capped an excellent first half display. In the second half Beechy looked to score early and grab a two goal cushion and this came when Issiaka Saba scored his second of the game after a wonderful assist from Ben Donohue. United added a fourth goal when Max Leonard netted his second goal and again it was Ben Donohue who set-up Max following another piece of great play. Beechy Manager Kyle Wray made several changes to see the game out, however the disruption caused problems especially at the back and two late goals including another penalty from Medlock made United work hard towards the end. But thanks to some brilliant defending and quality saves from keeper Chris Pollock Beechy soaked up the late pressure and their 4-3 victory guaranteed them a place in the next round of the competition. (18/1/2020)

Looking to extend their four game unbeaten run in the Manchester Saturday Morning League Beechy met West Didsbury who were having an impressive season and in the hunt for the league title. West Didsbury knew United's style of play was quick passing football and chose a very poor pitch at their home venue, clearly hoping to disrupt Beechy's game plan. The match began with United playing some brilliant soccer and winger Kyle Mears caused the opposition huge problems but Beechy just couldn't find the opening goal. West Didsbury's tactic was to play on the counter-attack and if it wasn't for some fantastic saves from Chris Pollock the hosts would have been in front early in the game. As the first half wore on United continued to struggle to get the first goal and were punished when following a corner West Didsbury took the lead. Pushing hard for an equaliser and without a striker available Beechy continually found it difficult to convert their chances. A mistake by a United defender gifted West Didsbury a two goal lead on the stroke of half time and Beechy knew they were the better team however they had to dig deep and find a way into the game. Manager Kyle Wray took a gamble and chose a more attacking option but West Didsbury via another counter-attack grabbed a third goal after United's offside trap failed to work. Despite being 3-0 down Beechy didn't lose confidence and reduced the arrears when they were awarded a penalty that was taken by Wes Pierce who confidently scored with the resulting spot-kick. Central defender Kyle Walton netted a second goal for Beechy and following several goal line clearances and glorious missed chances United suffered an undeserved 3-2 defeat. (25/1/2020)

home | about | contact |

Copyright (c) 2019 The official website for Beechfield United | All Rights Reserved | web design by w miller