POSTED: November 03 2022 23:06:22. By Keith Long - Top-Class Display Earns Thunder 5-1 Victory

With a strong line-up on view Beechfield United U/18's THUNDER were rewarded with a 5-1 victory following their home game with Winton Wanderers on Saturday 29th October 2022.

*After kicking-off this Bolton Bury and District League Section B fixture Beechy had some early defending to deal with and Harry Shaw, William Whipday, Ben Howard and Callum Snaith were soon in action. The Winton No18 was quick to display his silky skills with the ball as the visitors created some threatening counter-attacks. Thunder's keeper Andrew Woodward raced to the edge of the area to boot the ball back downfield after the visitors No9 chased a clearance from the Winton centre half. Riley Walker won Beechy's first corner in the 9th minute but Winton's keeper managed to fist the ball away during a goalmouth scramble.

William Whipday blocked an effort on target from the visitors No8 just before Winton took the lead when their No14 had an easy finish after a move down the left wing. Gradually Beechy enjoyed a greater share of the ball and Miguel Gikundino was a key figure when Thunder produced some positive attacking football. Konstantin Hristova and Dominic Lawton combined in a neat quick passing move and after creating space just outside the area the latter fired the ball at the keeper. Thunder equalised after nineteen minutes when a pinpoint pass by Dominic Lawton sent Miguel Gikundino on a solo run and his accurate low finish made it 1-1.

Ishor Bajgai replaced Lucas Madden then Joshua Jones took over from Riley Walker when Beechy made their first tactical substitutions. Callum Snaith, Harry Shaw, William Whipday and Ben Howard defended superbly under pressure following another spell of Winton counter-attacking but Thunder also looked dangerous going forward and created some decent chances. Andrew Woodward made a world class save just before Beechy went 2-1 up via Miguel Gikundino then at the end of a move through midfield the visitors No8 saw his effort hit the post. Thunder increased their lead when Miguel Gikundino completed his hat-trick with another quality finish after Dominic Lawton had dinked the ball over the Winton defence.

A few loose passes from Beechy invited unwanted pressure on the back four but the defensive quartet remained rock-solid. Several tight decisions ruined some promising moves from both teams and close to half time a fine save from Andrew Woodward and a well timed ball winning tackle in the area by William Whipday were the last pieces of real action before the referee ended the first half. Both Ishor Bajgai and Dominic Lawton were soon involved in midfield when the match resumed but it was the visitors who created the first real scoring opportunity and a save by Andrew Woodward dealt with an effort from Winton's No11.

Back in the action Lucas Madden supplied the pass for Riley Walker to run forward and fire the ball just wide then after play had switched into Thunder's half twice Ben Howard showed his ability in the air with three superb headed clearances. Beechy won a penalty after a foul on Miguel Gikundino but the alert Winton keeper saved the resulting spot-kick taken by Max Chidgey who was then replaced by Joshua Jones and he was soon involved in the fast action. In the 66th minute Thunder added goal number four through Dominic Lawton who controlled an excellent long pass from Ben Howard and fired the ball past the keeper into the bottom corner of the net.

At times play became rather congested in midfield and when Winton remained a threat via the counter-attack the visitors No18 forced a brilliant diving save from Thunder's Man of the Match Andrew Woodward. Playing higher up the pitch Harry Shaw delivered an accurate cross into the area and Max Chidgey who was back on the pitch saw his close range header hit the post. More great defending from William Whipday, Ben Howard, Konstantin Hristova and Callum Snaith kept the visitors at bay though one effort by the Winton No10 went just over the crossbar.

A brilliant move between Harry Shaw, Max Chidgey and Dominic Lawton was rewarded when the latter completed the scoring with another decisive finish. Just before the final whistle Joshua Jones almost scored his first goal for the team after an error by Winton's keeper but his close range effort rebounded back into play off the post. Thunder's next game on 5/11/2022 is in the 1st Round of the Players Cup when they are at home to Deans Youth Panthers.

home | about | contact |

Copyright (c) 2019 The official website for Beechfield United | All Rights Reserved | web design by w miller