POSTED: October 12 2017 16:18:41. By Keith Long - United Score Eight In Dominant Trophy Display

For their third Manchester Football League Murray Trophy fixture Beechfield United from Division 1 faced Division 2 outfit Hindley Juniors. This season the competition has a different format with the teams playing group games so it was vitally important that United collected all three points. With home advantage Beechy were obviously favourites to win the game and they did so in style courtesy of a convincing 8-0 home victory. After making three team changes for the match United were soon into their stride moving the ball around with ease and in midfield Mike Phythian, Steven Erskine and Craig Massey were at the heart of some top quality moves. Beechy forced three successive corners and on one occasion Carl Ravenscroft on the edge of the area fired the ball just over the crossbar. The visitors had some serious defending to do as United continued to produce a constant flow of quick passing moves and two great crosses from both flanks by Andrzej Browne and Mike Rogerson deserved a better finish.

When Hindley Juniors created any worthwhile attacks they developed down the left wing there was no real end product from the visitors and in the opening quarter-hour Beechy keeper Rob Harrison was virtually no more than a spectator. Following a few more classic moves ruined by Hindley's offside tactic it was no real surprise that United took the lead in the twenty fifth minute. When the Hindley Juniors keeper gathered the ball following a back pass the referee had no option but to award Beechy a free kick and after Jamie Sinnott had casually played the ball back to Mike Phythian United's midfield man superbly hammered it home through a crowded area from 25 yards. A superb pass by Jordan Jones-Waite set-up Jamie Sinnott for a neat finish but the match official disallowed the goal for offside. Some of United's on-touch passing moves were a joy to watch and just after the half hour mark Beechy went 2-0 up when a cross cum shot by Jordan Jones-Waite floated over the keeper and dropped into the net.

Following more excellent football from Beechy the third goal arrived in the 39th minute via a vicious swerving shot from Jamie Sinnott and though the Hindley keeper got both hands on the ball he could only help it into the net. Hindley Juniors first direct shot on target came in the 41st minute but the attempt from their No3 was wide of the target. As the second half unfolded United continued to dominate the contest and after a wonderful piece of skill by Jamie Sinnott the ball was at the feet of Steven Erskine who's first time effort dipped just over the crossbar. A couple of minutes later the overworked Hindley Juniors keeper managed to hold onto the ball following an attempt to score by Andrzej Browne. In this one-sided match United's defensive quartet of Mike Rogerson, Tim Taylor and Luke Johnston were rarely under pressure and the latter netted the fourth goal from close range after the keeper dropped the ball following a Mike Phythian free kick. Jamie Sinnott scored goal number five when the referee deemed he was fouled by the visitors keeper and United's No9 blasted home the resulting spot-kick.

Beechy made a couple of substitutions with Rob Lockley and Tom Allcock taking over from Andrzej Browne and Carl Ravenscroft. Despite being outplayed Hindley Juniors never let their heads drop but they simply had no answer to United's overall strength and ability. A stunning strike from outside the area completed a memorable hat-trick for Jamie Sinnott who made it 6-0 then minutes later Jamie was replaced by Kurtis Lee. Rob Harrison made a rare save but within seconds Beechy were back on the attack and great play on the right flank involving Kurtis Lee and Rob Lockley led to Jordan Jones-Waite being left with an easy strikers finish for 7-0. After Kurtis Lee completed the scoring Hindley Juniors produced a late attacking surge and Mike Rogerson displayed his defensive qualities with several top-class headed clearances. During the last piece of action the visitors No7 who was hoping to get his side a consolation goal fired the ball into the waiting arms of Robert Harrison.

home | about | contact |

Copyright (c) 2019 The official website for Beechfield United | All Rights Reserved | web design by w miller