POSTED: October 10 2019 19:11:28. By Keith Long - Saturday Morning Seniors Match Reports

After five weeks of the 2019/2020 season Beechfield United Saturday Morning Senior team could be accused of being short of match practice after playing just three games.

Following a disappointing opening day 1-1 draw away at Medlock Rangers in Division 1 United's first home game of the season was against AFC Middleton. Both teams would be looking to make a major challenge for the league title and a keenly contested match was expected. Due to weather conditions there was last minute change of pitches and due to the smaller size handed the advantage to AFC Middleton who rely on a direct style of play. Beechy started the stronger, and enjoyed the majority of possession but against the run of play found themselves 2-0 down on the half hour mark after a fine strike and a header from a set-piece. HT 0-2. When the second half started United were once again the better team, however after squandering numerous chances United conceded a goal from a corner and were suddenly trailing 3-0. But a quickfire brace from striker Max Leonard brought Beechy back into the game with ten minutes to go. However, as they pushed hard to find an equaliser United's defence failed to deal with a route one long ball and AFC Middleton sealed a 4-2 victory with a fourth goal in the 85th minute. (21/9/2019)

United's scheduled Division 1 away game on 28/9/2019 versus Brownley Albion was postponed due to the adverse weather but Beechy were in action seven days later. Looking to kick start their season United were at home to AFC Monton Reserves in the 1st Round of the Footy.Com Saturday Amateur Cup. AFC Monton were a young team who adopted a fast face to their play but Beechy dominated the tie from the kick off. Returning to the team from injury was Scott Foulds who was a threat throughout the first half as he used the wide pitch to his advantage, constantly stretching the Monton defence out of position. Despite enjoying more of the ball United struggled to take their chances until just after the half hour mark when Kyle Mears opened the scoring, pouncing onto a rebound after the Monton keeper had made a fine save following a free kick by Beechy skipper Dean Quinn.

Five minutes before half time United were rewarded with a second goal after striker Wes Pierce went on a clear run, then following a wonderful first touch calmly slotted the ball home. In the second half Monton pushed hard looking for a way back into the game but some solid defending from United's back four never allowed the visitors any real chances. Beechy intelligently slowed the game down and continued to have more of the ball that led to their third goal with ten minutes left. Seb Ward played a delightful through ball and Issiaka Saba lifted it over the keeper to secure United a 3-0 win and a place in the next round of the competition.

home | about | contact |

Copyright (c) 2019 The official website for Beechfield United | All Rights Reserved | web design by w miller