POSTED: October 18 2019 16:49:14. By Keith Long - Late Equaliser Robs 1st Team Of Victory

On Saturday 12th October 2019 due to various reasons only eleven players were available for Beechfield United's 1st Team Premier Division away game against Royton Town. But following a superb all-round display United were robbed of victory when the hosts scored a last gasp equaliser.

The hosts enjoyed more of the ball in the opening five minutes but Beechy were well organised and limited the home side to just a handful of chances. An accurate long pass from Craig Massey found Kurtis Lee but United's main striker just failed to make contact with the ball inside the area. In a makeshift back four Scott Hamer who was making his debut produced some vital defending alongside right back Chris Ferris. The game was played at a fast pace on the 4G Astroturf Pitch and after more excellent defending Beechy took a deserved lead in the 12th minute. United won a corner taken by dead ball specialist Danny Royle who curled the ball into a crowed penalty area and Kurtis Lee via a powerful header netted his seventh league goal of the season. Just a few minutes later United could have added a second goal but a Royton defender deliberately had a handful of Kurtis Lee's shirt as he looked to have gone clear of the Royton player but the incident appeared to have gone unnoticed by the match officials.

Royton Town continued to move the ball around with confidence but keeping a good shape United frustrated their opponents and Beechy's stand-in goalie Carl Ravenscroft was rarely tested in the first twenty minutes. Steven Erskine and Ellis Carr worked hard in the midfield area and the latter had a long range effort well saved by the Royton keeper. Due to more solid teamwork United fully deserved their lead and a great move between Kurtis Lee, Scott Hamer and Louis Duff deserved a much better finish then another quality move involving Ellis Carr ended when Kurtis Lee fired the ball just wide of the target. United made a terrific start to the second half when they went 2-0 up within ninety seconds of the restart. Steven Erskine who had a really good game delivered a precise through ball onto Kurtis Lee who quickly played it low across the area and after timing his run to perfection Danny Royle side footed the ball past the keeper.

Within seconds Royton were on the attack and won a generous free kick but the ball was aimlessly floated into the area and Carl Ravenscroft was able to make an easy save then suddenly Beechy put more pressure on themselves when they conceded far too many free kicks around their own penalty area. United who relied more on the counter-attack in the second half were restricted to only a few chances and on one occasion Kurtis Lee raced onto Louis Duff's angled pass but hammered the ball past the post. Royton's most promising moves featured their No8 and No15 who were the hosts best players and as the second period wore on Beechy were forced to produced some heroic defending with Craig Massey a key figure in the back four. A cheeky attempt to score from thirty yards plus from Royton's No10 dipped over the crossbar but he reduced the arrears in the 85th minutes via an audacious left footed finish. Beechy worked nonstop to stay one goal ahead but the hosts kept United under pressure and equalised in time added on. Royton's keeper raced upfield and from a free kick sent the ball deep into a crowded penalty area and during a goalmouth scramble the hosts No6 hammered the ball into the net.

home | about | contact |

Copyright (c) 2019 The official website for Beechfield United | All Rights Reserved | web design by w miller