POSTED: October 24 2016 22:50:40. By Keith Long - Another Score Draw For United's First Team

In the Manchester Football League Beechfield United's First Team remained unbeaten following their last three Division One fixtures. United who were at home to Leigh Athletic twice held the lead but at the end of an enthralling ninety minutes were held to a 2-2 draw. United had to make a couple of team changes but they made a positive start to the contest with Man of the Match Jamie Sinnott at the heart of couple of stylish moves. The visitors quickly issued a warning to Beechy courtesy of several powerful attacks but United grabbed the lead in the 11th minute. Rob Lockley and Alex Hunter linked-up superbly and the latter neatly set-up Jamie Sinnott who fired the ball low into the net from close range.

Leigh Athletics number nine had a great chance to level the score but after beating the offside trap he was denied a goal when United's stand-in keeper Luke Johnston made a fine save. Just after the quarter hour mark Beechy were forced to make a substitution when Alex Hunter sustained a knee injury and was replaced by Team Manager Steve Erskine. Leigh Athletic forced another period of pressure onto United's back four but Andrzej Browne, Pat Beckett, Gary Wallis and Carl Ravenscroft produced some first-class defending.

Luke Johnston was again in action making another very good save but he couldn't prevent Leigh Athletic from getting back level when their number nine who was left unmarked in the area scored with a powerful header. A few minutes later Leigh's number seven missed a great chance then the same player was convinced his swerving effort had put the visitors 2-1 up but the referee ruled the ball didn't cross the line.

United faced some unwanted pressure early in the second half as Leigh Athletic used the pace of their wide men to create some gilt edged chances. Gradually Beechy looked a greater threat going forward and they regained the lead on 56 minutes thanks to a deft move involving Chris Ferris, Louis Duff and Jamie Sinnott who's accurate low cross was hammered into the net by Rob Lockley. Play continued to move rapidly from end to end but Leigh Athletic suddenly stepped up a gear.

The visitors took full advantage of some slack defending by United and Leigh's number eight made it 2-2 after sixty one minutes. Keeping the pressure on United via some brilliant all-round team work Leigh Athletic threatened to add more goals. But Beechy matched their opponents flair and commitment and despite being reduced to ten players for the last twelve minutes could have won the game.

home | about | contact |

Copyright (c) 2019 The official website for Beechfield United | All Rights Reserved | web design by w miller