POSTED: October 25 2017 14:14:57. By Keith Long - Barren Spell For Saturday Morning Senior Team

Beechfield United Saturday Morning Senior Team have recently hit a barren spell with two successive defeats. On the 14th October 2017 Beechy were at home to Manchester Medics and after a below-par display suffered a 5-1 defeat. United were a goal down in the 6th minute when they failed to defend against a corner and the ball was tapped into the net at the far post. But Beechy produced a positive fightback and equalised on seventeen minutes via Matthew McCusker who finished off a neat move through the midfield by lobbing the ball over the keeper for 1-1. The visitors who had a few new players on view looked well organised throughout the match and regained the lead five minutes before the break. United made a disastrous start to the second half going 3-1 down when a lone Medics striker had far too much room in the area to stroke the ball home. Man of the Match Wes Pierce was constantly involved in United's best attacking moves but despite chances on offer the finishing touch deserted United and two more goals in three minutes for Medics completed a miserable ninety minutes for Beechy.

Then seven days later United were in action against Heston FC in the Manchester Evening News Cup but Beechy went out of the competition after losing this 1st Round tie 3-2. Once again United conceded an early goal when slack marking gifted Heston the lead. Following a quick break down the left flank on eighteen minutes the ball was crossed and an unmarked Heston player inside the area slotted the ball into the net for the hosts second goal. Four minutes later United were dealt a further setback when they went 3-0 down after a break through the centre of Beechy's defence ended with a lob over the advancing keeper. But United's hopes of a revival received a boost in the 36th minute when they were awarded a free kick and Dean Quinn produced a superb strike to reduce the arrears. During the second half Beechy were still forced to be more defensive with both Tim McQueeney and Matthew McCusker who shared the Man of the Match Award featured prominently in most of the action. United's second goal arrived after 78 minutes via a breakaway move down the right flank and when the ball broke free it was knocked into the net by Team Manager Graham Rothwell who rolled back the years when he played for the last twenty minutes.

home | about | contact |

Copyright (c) 2019 The official website for Beechfield United | All Rights Reserved | web design by w miller