POSTED: September 09 2017 12:37:17. By Keith Long - First-Class Display Secures Utd Trophy Success

Turning their attention to the Manchester Challenge Trophy Beechfield United's First Team celebrated a resounding 4-0 away win over Abacus Media a side from the Lancashire and Cheshire League. In the First Round of the competition United fully deserved their resounding victory thanks to some moments of top-quality football and two goals in each half.

Straight from the kick-off Abacus Media built an attack and their No11's effort was just off target then two minutes later United thought they had taken the lead. Tim Taylor sent a long pass downfield and Jordan Jones-Waite easily went past the last defender and casually slotted the ball into the corner of the net but the goal was disallowed after Jordan was judged to be offside during the move. There was a terrific pace to the game and Beechy keeper Robert Harrison was kept busy during the opening ten minutes. A neat move between Andrzej Browne and Jamie Sinnott deserved a better finish and following two more dubious offside decisions United eventually opened the scoring on the quarter-hour mark. Luke Johnston supplied the initial long ball into the Abacus half and Jordan Jones-Waite won the aerial challenge and Louis Duff timed his run to perfection before producing a stylish finish for 1-0.

Abacus Media developed the bulk of their attacks down the left flank as they searched for an equaliser but United were well organised and on several occasions Mike Rogerson produced some excellent defending. On twenty three minutes the referee decided Rob Lockley had fouled an opponent in the area and awarded Abacus Media a penalty but Robert Harrison saved the resulting spot-kick. United quickly found their rhythm and with Gary Wallis and Mike Phythian constantly involved in midfield more chances were created and twice in quick succession Jamie Sinnott almost made it 2-0. But Beechy were soon rewarded with their second goal when after working hard to regain possession Man of the Match Louis Duff raced unchallenged into the area and casually slotted the ball past the keeper in the 33rd minute. A shell shocked Abacus Media outfit continued to created a few decent moves but under pressure some of their players gave the ball away far too easily.

Both keepers were in action soon after the restart but quickly finding their rhythm Beechy won the first corner in the second half. The home side made their second substitution on fifty minutes as they tried to get a stronger hold on the contest but United showed their class as they suddenly stepped up a gear. Following a corner taken by Jamie Sinnott a header by Rob Lockley dropped wide of the target then minutes later the latter linked up with Louis Duff and his cross found Jamie Sinnott who's effort was just off target. Despite using the long ball tactic more often in the second half Abacus Media failed to unsettle a strong Beechy rearguard that included Tim Taylor, Rob Lockley and Luke Johnston. On seventy minutes United made a triple substitution when Player-Manager Steven Erskine, Tom Allcock and Kurtis Lee replaced Louis Duff, Andrzej Browne and Jordan Jones-Waite.

There was a late attacking surge from Abacus Media but following more quick and accurate passing moves United casually added goal number three after 87 minutes. A brilliant pinpoint pass from Mike Phythian sent Jamie Sinnott on a mazy run and Beechy's number nine played the ball across the area to the unmarked Gary Wallis who sidefotted home from close range. Kurtis Lee completed the scoring just before the final whistle when after being set-up by Jamie Sinnott was gifted an easy finish.

Team: Robert Harrison, Mike Rogerson, Tim Taylor, Rob Lockley, Luke Johnston, Andrzej Browne, Gary Wallis, Mike Phythian, Jamie Sinnott (Captain), Louis Duff, Jordan Jones-Waite. Substitutes: Steven Erskine, Tom Allcock, Kurtis Lee.

home | about | contact |

Copyright (c) 2019 The official website for Beechfield United | All Rights Reserved | web design by w miller