POSTED: September 13 2018 21:45:25. By Keith Long - 1st Team Suffer Premier Division Heartache

The 1st Teams topsy-turvy season in the Manchester Football League Premier Division continued on Saturday 8th September at Salford Sports Village when United were beaten 4-2 by Rochdale Sacred Heart. Moving the ball around with an air of confidence Beechy quickly dominated possession and outplayed their opponents in the opening ten minutes. But totally against the run of play Sacred Heart took the lead when the visitors won a lucky penalty for apparent handball. Superb defending from Tim Taylor blocked an effort on target from Sacred Hearts No2 who had made a surging run down the right wing. United's strike force of Jamie Sinnott, Kurtis Lee and Jordan Jones-Waite had limited opportunities to get Beechy back on level terms but United nearly equaliser when a superb strike by Gareth Mooney hit the crossbar. Sacred Heart created chances to increase their lead and Louis Duff, Tim Taylor and Luke Johnston had to produce some brave defending.

On twenty two minutes a curling cross from Jamie Sinnott was won by Kurtis Lee during an aerial challenge and the move ended when Jordan Jones-Waite shot wide from ten yards. Operating a sometimes risky offside trap both teams kept the linesmen busy plus the referee worked hard to keep control of this competitive game. From a free kick Mike Phythian angled the ball into the area and Jordan Jones-Waite sent a header just wide then another attempt from Gareth Mooney skimmed the post. United keeper Steven Naylor made a fine save to deny the visitors No9 who minutes later sent a header over the crossbar following a free kick. The first half was almost over when Beechy conceded a second goal due to some lacklustre defending. Once the second half got underway United had greater share of the ball and Steven Erskine, Gareth Mooney and Mike Phythian were more involved in midfield.

The visitors were happy to soak up any pressure and were gifted a 3-0 lead when Sacred Hearts No6 was allowed to run unchallenged for almost fifty yards and fire the ball low into the net despite a brave attempt by Steven Naylor to prevent the goal. Just before the hour mark United reduced the arrears via Jordan Jones-Waite who after producing a mazy run was victim of a reckless challenge in the area. The referee immediately awarded a penalty and after grabbing the match ball Jordan took the spot-kick himself and casually sent the keeper the wrong way for 3-1. Beechy hardly had time to celebrate the goal because the visitors scored a fourth goal thanks to their No7 who produced a powerful finish when he hammered the ball with accuracy into the corner of the net and Sacred Heart were now well on top forcing United to deal with constant heavy pressure. But in the 70th minute Beechy were thrown a lifeline when they won a corner and after the ball was headed out of the area it dropped perfectly for Steven Erskine who superbly volleyed it past the keeper from about forty yards.

Two great crosses by Gareth Mooney caused panic within the visitors defence and Sacred Hearts offside tactic rescued them when Kurtis Lee had a goal disallowed. Another strong attacking surge from their opponents kept Beechy constantly in a defensive mode but within a three minute spell United almost scored two goals. A tremendous effort from Jordan Jones-Waite rattled the crossbar then Kurtis Lee saw a low drive on target cleared from almost on the goal line. Sharing the Man of the Match Award were Louis Duff and Jordan Jones-Waite.

home | about | contact |

Copyright (c) 2019 The official website for Beechfield United | All Rights Reserved | web design by w miller