POSTED: September 21 2018 21:39:22. By Keith Long - 1st Team Rue Missed Chances After 1-0 Defeat

What should have been a deserved victory for Beechfield United First Team ended in defeat following their Premier Division away game against Walshaw Sports. At the end of a frustrating ninety minutes Beechy's players couldn't hide their disappointment after losing the match 1-0. United made two team changes and weather conditions were ideal for the match played on an artificial 4G surface. Quickly finding a good attacking rhythm Beechy built two early promising moves and Craig Massey and Jordan Jones-Waite were soon involved in the fast action. Then Steven Erskine supplied a great through ball onto Jamie Sinnott but United's No9 hurried his shot from the edge of the area. Walshaw's No7 launched a long throw into the six yard box and Beechy keeper Rob Harrison confidently caught the ball under pressure and the hosts continued to force numerous throw-ins on the left flank but United dealt with any apparent threat. A pinpoint cross by Jamie Sinnott found Jordan Jones-Waite who was left unmarked and the Beechy strikers side footed effort forced a fine reaction save from the Walshaw keeper.

Getting forward from his defensive duties was Louis Duff and he neatly angled the ball to Kurtis Lee who beat the offside trap but his powerful finish failed to hit the target. More first-class defending from United's Man of the Match Luke Johnston won Walshaw a corner and once again Rob Harrison produced a great piece of goalkeeping. A couple of minutes later the hosts created another slick move and both Carl Ravenscroft and Luke Johnston forced the ball out of the danger zone. Beechy should have opened the scoring in the 18th minute when the Walshaw keeper somehow saved an effort from Jordan Jones-Waite then he managed to get a hand on the ball that rolled close to the line after a fierce low drive by Jamie Sinnott. Another chance went begging after Craig Massey got past a couple of opponents into the area and his shot deflected perfectly to Jamie Sinnott who should have found the back of the net but he blasted the ball over the crossbar.

Clever play between Mike Phythian and Kurtis Lee fashioned out a clear-cut chance for Jordan Jones-Waite who with only the keeper to beat fired the ball wide. What proved to be the games only goal and Walshaw's match winner arrived after twenty eight minutes when the home side were gifted the lead. Two half chances both headers nearly increased Walshaw's advantage and showing more urgency in the last fifteen minutes of the first half Beechy with Steven Erskine heavily involved in midfield should have got back on level terms. When play resumed after the break Walshaw Sports enjoying more of the ball put United under constant pressure and Carl Ravenscroft, Louis Duff and Luke Johnston responded with some excellent defending. A quick counter-attack by Beechy saw Jamie Sinnott supply a low cross to Mike Phythian and United's midfield man hit the ball first time sending it over the crossbar. Then Jamie Sinnott sent Louis Duff racing down the right wing and his cross curled back into play off the crossbar.

Rob Harrison made a very good reflex save following a half volley for just outside the area by Walshaw's No5. Despite having to defend deeper in their own half Beechy always had the ability to create some stylish counter-attacking football. Mike Phythian had another reasonable chance to equaliser before being replaced by Chris Ferris on sixty eight minutes. Walshaw's substitute wearing the number twelve shirt was a major influence for the hosts since his introduction into the game. Twice Luke Johnston rescued Beechy with well timed last ditch tackles when Walshaw forwards were expecting to add the finish to some swift attacking play. Following a free kick the ball was at the feet of Kurtis Lee and his powerful strike on target produced a superb save from Walshaw's keeper. After missing a few games due to an injury Mike Rogerson made a late appearance when he took over from Craig Massey. A few chances were on offer when United created an attacking surge during the final ten minutes but Walshaw survived the late pressure and were able to collect the three points.

home | about | contact |

Copyright (c) 2019 The official website for Beechfield United | All Rights Reserved | web design by w miller