POSTED: September 28 2017 20:09:05. By Keith Long - United Recover From 5-1 Down To Win 7-5

Producing a stunning second half performance in which they scored six goals Beechfield United Saturday Morning Senior Team celebrated their first win of the season after they beat Old Stretfordians 7-5. Just eleven players were available for this away fixture and Beechy matched their opponents in the early stages until they conceded the opening goal in the 22nd minute. Two minutes later Old Stretfordians went 2-0 up after the ball had been fired into the area and United were guilty of some slack defending. Things went from bad to worse for Beechy when they conceded two more goals in a five minute spell. During the mayhem United were awarded a penalty but Max Leonard failed to score from the resulting spot-kick though Scott Foulds did reduce the arrears when he slotted home a rebound off the keeper who couldn't hold a fierce shot from Daniel Eckersley. Old Stretfordians added their fifth goal and obviously believed they had done enough in the first forty five minutes to guarantee them a victory.

But following an encouraging half time team talk by Assistant Manager Karl Stott the Beechy players were totally fired up and determined there would be no repeat of their disastrous first half display. In the 50th minute the ball was sent diagonally across the pitch to Kyle Mears who set-up Wes Pierce for an effort on target that the keeper saved but Max Leonard reacted the quickest and netted the rebound. Now playing with renewed confidence Beechy suddenly found gaps in their opponents defence and on fifty two minutes it was 5-3 after an effort from Tom Stott had caused a goalmouth scramble and Matthew McCusker smashed home the loose ball. United continued to pile the pressure on Old Stretfordians and after sixty five minutes Matthew Edwards controlled a pass from Daniel Eckersley and calmly slotted the ball into the net to reduce the home teams lead to just one goal. Man of the Match Scott Foulds started the attack that eventually made it 5-5 when at the end of a powerful run down the right wing he fired the ball across to Max Leonard who applied the required finish.

Old Stretfordians quite simply had no answer to United's sizzling and dominate display and Beechy took the lead in the 85th minute. A quick counter-attack developed down the left flank and when play switched to the other side of the pitch the ball was at the feet of Scott Foulds who from the edge of the area drove it low into the bottom corner of the net. United's truly amazing comeback was completed in the last minute of normal time when they were awarded a second penalty for a foul on Max Leonard who took the spot-kick himself and this time made no mistake as he ended the scoring with his hat trick goal.

home | about | contact |

Copyright (c) 2019 The official website for Beechfield United | All Rights Reserved | web design by w miller